Don’t miss the opportunity to reduce future tax obligations by gifting interests in your business, stock holdings and real estate in 2023.
Current lifetime gifting exemptions are at an all time high, and election year uncertainty means 2024 could bring the much anticipated reduction in the lifetime exemption. If you have valuable business, stock or real estate interests, let Cabrillo help you and your estate/tax advisors optimize this window of opportunity before it closes!
Important factors to be aware of:
- For 2023, the estate and gift tax exemption stands at $12.9 million per person and $25.8 million for married couples.
- Barring congressional action, the exemption is scheduled to sunset after 2025, returning to approximately $7 million per person and $14 million for married couples in 2026.
- Further exacerbating the situation, the maximum estate tax rate is slated to increase from 40% to 45% in 2026 — the highest rate since 2009.
- Given these upcoming changes, families will need to act soon to take advantage of the currently elevated exemptions. Getting appraisals and completing gifts before 12/31/25 will be key.
- With the 2024 election on the horizon, changes in the administration could bring further uncertainty around estate tax rules.
For first-time estate planners, we would be happy to schedule an informational call to walk through some valuation techniques that could generate substantial tax savings for you and your heirs, both now and in the future.
Please let us know if you would like to discuss your specific situation and goals.
Valuing thousands of companies across a broad array of industries, from simple seed-funded businesses to significant private and public entities;
Collaborating with seasoned professionals, including boards of directors, attorneys, consultants, accountants, entrepreneurs and;
Successfully navigating extensive reviews by boards of directors, the SEC and auditors, while always supporting our clients’ positions and strategies.